Monday, May 5, 2008

Autism

Today Ryan was diagnosed by Dr.Tripp as having autism. It really did confirm what I had already suspected so it really wasn't a shock but still I feel a bit overwhelmed by it, like I have to soak it in a bit before I can understand the way I feel. I am very glad he is going to have so much help and there is so much hope for him. The Dr. said that 30 years ago if you were diagnosed with autism, there was no hope for change, however now it can be completely reversible. Ryan will be getting more specialized treatment at school now. Dr. Tripp said that school is the best place for him right now. He thinks when Ryan's speech improves, his whole world is going to open up. I feel very blessed to live in a country that will provide Ryan with so much therapy in public school free of charge. I did ask about ABA therapy but right now it is just about out of reach for just about everyone. Insurance companies will not pay for it and there are not enough therapists out there to perform it. It is amazingly expensive about $30,000 a year. We are hoping for change in the future.
I didn't realize it but early intervention is actually from age 3 to 6, so Ryan is just starting on time. He is in a window of opportunity right now. I plan to look up as much as I can about how I can also work with him at home. Ryan is improving already in many areas we discussed today and is really very social in some ways. He does give good eye contact though it is sometimes infrequent. He is always wanting someone to play with him and he does have a sense of humor and a beautiful smile that draws you in when he is happy. He is having separation anxiety from me and the dr. said that is a good sign that he is forming attachments. When he was a baby he was less attatched than his siblings. Dr.Tripp says that all this sort of development will come, but later than usual. We are going to do everything possible to reverse his autism and bring him to as much success as we can. He deserves that.
We were all very tired this morning on the way to Ryan's appt. Last night around 1 am Kaylie woke up gasping for breath. She had terrible croup/asthma. I tried steam and her nebulizer but nothing worked well enough and poor Kaylie was so scared and worked up. Rory got Bella from her crib and I nursed her quickly and put her in the car seat. Kaylie, Bella and I headed out just before 2am and Rory, who was already exhausted from service calls and getting home late, stayed with the other kids. We are a bit used to this. Jon, Kaylie, and Ryan all have narrow airways and many many times get croup when they have a simple common cold. Often our only warning is a bit of a runny nose the day before. We had a fun day with Grandma and Grandpa on Sunday, the kids played outside almost all day, it was a nice warm spring day. I was just telling my mom that Kaylie hadn't used her nebulizer for a year. I spoke too soon! She is doing well now after her steroid and breathing treatments. Bella did so well at the emergency room. She sat in her carseat and watched Kaylie until she fell asleep and didn't wake up until we got home at 5am. Kaylie did well too at the hospital and was much more calmed down. As soon as we started heading back to bed Rory's alarm went off! I snuck in about an hour of sleep and then had to get ready for Ryan's appt. in Tacoma. Rory took us to lunch at McDonalds then he had to go back to work after the appt. so I drove home and thank God Ryan and Bella fell asleep and stayed asleep after being removed from the car so we all took a long afternoon nap. Well its back to the normal routine tomorrow.

2 comments:

Susan Nelson said...

Thanks for the update on Ryan! With the early intervention that you've begun, his chances for a more normal life sound so hopeful. Keep us posted and we will keep him in our prayers, as always. And best wishes to Kaylie! What a night and day you guys had!

Jamie May said...

I am glad I came over to your site, I was thinking about all of you. I am glad to have an update on Ryan :) Now that it is a concrete diagnosis from a Dr. you can all move forward. That in itself is great! I am also sorry to hear about Kaylie. You are all in my prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.
Peace and Love Jamie May